The Lares Trek adventure will take you through natural hot springs, native villages, amazing campsites, mountain ranges and some of the most beautiful landscapes Peru can offer, before arriving to the “Lost City of the Incas,” Machu Picchu. On the way you’ll also briefly see the Inca city of Ollantaytambo.
Day 1: Cusco – Calca – Lares Hot Springs – Wakawasi
Your journey through Lares to Machu Picchu starts at your hotel in Cusco 5.00 am, where a bus will transport you to the village of Calca for 45 min. After a little break the bus ride continues for 2 hours to the hot springs of Lares, where we will enjoy a nice lunch before our hike begins and you can take a swim in the hot natural thermal pools in beautiful surroundings of the mountain environment. The hike of the day takes 4 hours uphill until we reach the campsite of Wakawasi, where a delicious dinner is waiting for us.
Day 2: Wakawasi – Abra Wakawasi – Auroruy Cocha – Yanahuara
Early in the morning the guides will wake you up with a nice cup of wake-up-tee and breakfast. Thereafter we ascend to the mountain top of Abra Wakawasi (4300 m), where we will have a breathtaking view of the mountain surroundings and the flora and fauna. From there the Lares trek will take us downhill for 1 hour to the village of Auroruy Cocha, where our chef will prepare a fantastic lunch for us. For the next 4 hours the route continues downhill to the camp of the night; Entrada a Yanahuara, where we will enjoy a dinner together and get settled for the night.
Day 3: Yanahuara – La Pista Central – Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes
On this day we will hike from our camp early in the morning at 6.30 after a solid breakfast and good-morning-tee. First we have a little hike downhill for 40 min. to La Pista Central, where a bus is waiting for us, to transport us to Ollantaytambo; the bus ride only takes 30 min. In Ollantaytambo we will enjoy a nice lunch together and you can walk around the town and its market. It is optional to visit the archaeological site of Ollantaytambo, which will give you a great insight of how skilled the Incas were, in their constructions and architecture. After visiting Ollantaytambo, we end the Lares trek and continue by train to the village of Machu Picchu; Aguas Calientes. In Aguas Calientes we will get settled in our hotel and enjoy a nice dinner.
Day 4: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Aguas Calientes
Very early in the morning, after the breakfast, we will begin hiking to “the lost city of the Incas”; Machu Picchu. The hike takes 1.5 hours uphill. At the city of Machu Picchu the guide will show you around the city and its different important sites, ruins and temples from 8.00 to 10.00 am. After the tour you will have some free time to explore the city, its many different roads and its beautiful surroundings. It is optional to take a hike to Huaynapicchu (extra cost 65 $), where you can get an extraordinary view from the mountain top over Machu Picchu and its beautiful surroundings. After you have enjoyed the magnificent City, a bus will take you down to Aguas Calientes, where you can visit the popular market and enjoy all the nice restaurants the town has to offer or visit the hot springs of the natural thermal pools (extra cost 4 $). In the night you will overstay in the hotel.
Day 5: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Aguas Calientes
On the last day we will say goodbye to Aguas Calientes and Machu Picchu and head towards Cusco via Ollantaytambo. After a breakfast the train will take us to Ollantaytambo, and there a bus will be waiting for us to take us back to Plaza de Armas in Cusco where our adventure ends.
Note: The Lares trek departs from our travel agency every day all year round. We recommend to go on this trek from April to October, because of the dry season.
End of our Services
- Briefing (usually scheduled one or two days before your trek)
- Tourist bus from your hotel in Cusco to beginning of your trek
- Machu Picchu entrance ticket
- First Aid basic equipment and oxygen for emergencies
- Horses to bring camping/kitchen supplies and 5 Kilos of your personal belongings including your sleeping bag
- Professional bilingual (Spanish/English) guide (guides who speak other languages upon request)
- Camping equipment: Tent ( 4 person tent which will sleep 2 people), foam mattress
- Kitchen supplies for cook (kitchen tent, dining tent, chairs, etc.)
- Professional cook
- Meals: 4 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 dinners (vegetarian, vegan, etc. dietary requirements available if requested during time of booking at no extra charge)
- Bus ticket from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes
- Expedition Train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo (see note about train availability, changes in times, etc.)
- Transportation from Ollantaytambo to Cusco
- Breakfast 1st day, Lunch on last day
- Sleeping bag
- Entrance fees for Thermal Baths in Aguas Calientes ($4)
- Backpack storage at Machu Picchu (3 soles)
- Water for your water bottles. You can buy water along the way or bring water purification tablets
- Activities and items not included in the itinerary
- Sleeping bag (rental $25 for trek made of down feathers and rated at -10 Celsius)
- Trekking poles/Walking Sticks (rental $15 for trek)
- Extra horse ($80)
- Personal tent (rental $35 for trek)
- Upgrade in class from Expedition Train service to Vistadome (panoramic) Train service (upgrade $50)
- Huayna Picchu entrance ticket ($15 per person). Make sure to book early since there are limited spaces available and they can sell out quickly!
- Entrance fee for hot springs in Aguas Calientes (10 Peruvian Nuevos Soles)
- We can also provide great prices on hotels for all of Peru (Standard to Luxury)!
What you need to bring
- Original passport
- International Student Identity Card (ISIC) if you have a student discount
- Sleeping bag (can be rented as well)
- Walking boots/shoes
- Waterproof jacket/rain poncho
- Warm jacket, hat and gloves
- Comfortable trousers
- Sun hat
- Sun protection cream (factor 35 recommended)
- Re-usable plastic or metal water container or camel bags
- Water, money to buy water along the way or water purification tablets
- Insect repellent
- Personal medication
- Torch with batteries
To qualify as a student, it is necessary to have a valid ISIC (International Student Identity Card) card. Scan the card and email us the copy at the time of your booking for a $20 discount per student!
For children younger than 17, we offer a $20 discount. Just scan and email a copy of the passports at the time of your booking.
For availability of spaces for this service, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org and we`ll send you detailed information, prices, terms and conditions.
Please keep in mind that significant price reductions are available for groups. All our tours are fully guaranteed, departure every day. Contact us for more information for the tour that you are choosing, or to begin customizing your own itinerary.
“MACHU PICCHU WONDER TRAVEL is a tour operator travel agency in Peru and the city of Cusco, We really know what we do and offer, We are well managed, with several offices in Peru and a long list of travel destinations, offering all travel alternatives in Perú, from family trips, honeymoon trips and luxury travel, including adventure tours and exploring trips to the jungle, for almost any budget”
NOTE: MACHU PICCHU WONDER TRAVEL, specializes in organizing the ideal travel plan to Peru, with hotels and destinations that you choose, because we have all confidential and promotional rates. For guidance on how to organize your custom package. Please write us.